Regardless of your status (CSA or non-CSA), all community members are encouraged to promptly report all criminal incidents and other public safety related emergencies to police. For incidents requiring immediate attention, dial 911 or 919-515-3000 (for on campus emergencies) or use any Emergency Phone located throughout the campus. Non-emergency incidents can be reported by dialing 919-515-3000 from any phone or in person at the NC State Police Department (2610 Wolf Village Way, Raleigh, NC 27695).


The law defines four categories of CSAs:

  1. University Police Department sworn personnel and department administrators.
  2. Non-police individuals of offices responsible for campus security. These CSAs have security presence or access control authority on university property including, but not limited to, security staff at athletic events, security staff at student functions and student ID checkers access management throughout campus (e.g., the field house).
  3. Officials with significant responsibility for student and campus activities category is defined broadly to ensure complete coverage and thorough reporting of crimes. To determine which individuals or organizations are CSAs, consider job functions that involve relationships with students. Look for Officials (i.e., not support staff) whose functions involve relationships with students.
    • An Official is defined as any person who has the authority and the duty to take action or respond to particular issues on behalf of the University. If someone has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, s/he is a CSA. Some examples of CSAs in this category include, but are not limited to, deans, student affairs professionals, student housing staff, athletic director/assistant directors, coaches, student activities coordinators, student judicial officers and faculty/staff advisors to student organizations.
  4. Any individual or organization specified in an institution’s statement of campus security policy as an individual or organization to which students and employees should report criminal offenses
    • Office of Student Conduct
    • Women’s Center (including the 24-hour Response Line)
    • Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity
    • University Housing
    • Student Legal Services
    • Student Health Services
    • GLBT Center


When a crime is reported to a CSA, first ask the person if they would like to report it to University Police. If so, contact University Police at 919-515-3000.

If the CSA has firsthand knowledge and confirmation that the reporting party filed a police report with University Police, then they are not obligated to complete and submit a Campus Security Authority Crime Reporting Form.

However, if the reporting party says they will file a police report (but have not yet done so), leaving the CSA with no confirmation that a police report was filed, then the CSA must still complete and submit a CSA Crime Report.

CSAs are encouraged to report all crimes they are aware of to University Police as soon as possible.

CSAs, when interacting with the reporting party, need to gather incident information that would provide sufficient detail to properly classify the incident. This means CSAs need to document reporting party responses or lack thereof to the following questions.

  • Where did the incident take place? (be specific, include room numbers, cross streets, city/state, etc)
  • When did the incident take place? (what date and time?)
  • Who was involved or what did they look like?
  • What specifically are the allegations made to the CSA? (My purse was stolen… I was robbed… I was raped… etc)
  • Have you reported this matter to police?

CSAs should not investigate the crime or attempt to determine whether a crime, in fact, took place. When in doubt, a Campus Safety Authority Reporting Form should be completed and submitted!

CSAs must provide resources to those making them aware of any situation.


The following is a sample of what you can tell a reporting party who comes to you to report a crime:

“As part of my position on campus I am a federally mandated crime reporter for the University. I am required to report this incident to Clery Compliance Officer and University Police for data gathering. If you request anonymity, the Report Form will not include your name. My report will contain only the information you provide. Do you have any questions? Would you like to help me fill it out?”


The University Clery Compliance Coordinator and University Police review CSA reports and determine whether it is a reportable crime in the Annual Security Report (ASR). These reports are also evaluated by the Clery Compliance Coordinator and University Police for timely warning and/or emergency notification consideration. The Clery Compliance Coordinator will consolidate crime data from multiple sources, report qualifying crime data to the federal Department of Education, publish campus ASRs and inform the campus community when and where ASRs are available.

The University also encourages complainants to pursue criminal action for incidents that may also be crimes under state criminal law including sexual violence, relationship violence, or stalking. The University Police Department will formally investigate the incident or assist a complainant, at the complainant’s request, in contacting local law enforcement for incidents that occur outside of the University Police’s jurisdiction. To report an incident to law enforcement, call (919) 515-3000, or 911.