Campus Security Authority Resources

University Police encourages all members of the campus community to report crimes to us on a timely basis. However, under the Clery Act, CSAs are required to report Clery Act qualifying crimes which occurred on campus, in public areas near campus and in certain non-campus buildings owned or controlled (leased) by the University. CSAs should only report those crimes that have not been previously reported to University Police or another University CSA.

The intent of including non-law enforcement personnel in the CSA role is to acknowledge that some community members and students, in particular, may be more likely to report incidents to other University partners who the person involved knows and trusts.

To review information on reportable Clery Act crimes, please refer to Clery Geography and Offenses pages. When in doubt, a Campus Safety Authority Reporting Form should be completed and submitted!

You may also report items of concern on the University’s Ethics Point website by clicking HERE.

CSA ListCSA TrainingCSA FAQsUniversity & Community ResourcesUniversity Sponsored Trip Registration

CSA List

The following personnel have been identified as CSAs and are required to notify University Police of incidents or offenses occurring in certain geographic locations associated with NC State:

  • University Police: All personnel
  • Student Development, Health & Wellness: All professional staff, all faculty/staff advisors to registered/recognized student organizations (except select personnel Student Health Services, Counseling Center licensed professional staff, and pastoral counselors within the Chaplains Cooperative Ministry do not have a reporting obligation if these individuals receive a report in the performance of their job duties.)
  • Campus Life: All personnel
  • ARTS NC State: Selected personnel as identified by the Executive Director for ARTS NC State
  • University College: Selected personnel as identified by the Vice Chancellor and Dean for Academic and Student Affairs
  • Park Scholarships: All professional staff
  • Goodnight Scholars Program: All professional staff
  • Caldwell Fellows: All professional staff
  • Enrollment Management & Services: Selected personnel as identified by Vice Provost for Enrollment Management & Services and University Registrar
  • International Affairs: All professional staff
  • Institutional Equity and Diversity: Selected personnel as identified by Vice Provost for Institutional Equity and Diversity
  • Athletics: All directors, coaches and trainers

In accordance with the Clery Act, all university “campus security authorities” (CSAs) – those officials
who have significant responsibility for student and campus activities – must report certain crimes to
University Police.

CSAs are also required to report whether the Clery Act crimes, or any other criminal offense such as larceny, simple assault, ethnic intimidation, and destruction, damage, or vandalism of property, were motivated by bias related to race, gender or gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity, national origin or disability.

Given the nature of these reporting obligations, NC State recognizes that it would be unrealistic to expect all CSAs to be able to differentiate between similar crimes without significant legal and/or law enforcement training (e.g. knowing the difference between aggravated assault and simple assault or burglary and larceny) or even when a crime is motivated by bias. Therefore, the university believes that the most reasonable and effective way to manage NC State’s federal reporting requirement is to designate University Police as the central data collection unit for all crimes.

If someone reveals to a CSA that they have been the victim or perpetrator of, or witness to, any incident that might involve a crime (reportable or otherwise), CSAs must immediately contact University Police at (919) 515-3000. NC State’s CSAs complete annual training so that they are aware of their Clery reporting obligations. This training is delivered in two formats: in-person presentations facilitated jointly by University Police and the Office of General Counsel. CSAs who need to complete the CSA training should visit this link. Completion of in-person or online CSA training is tracked and reported to University Police by a responsible administrator within each University division or unit.

If you need further assistance, accessing or completing the training, please contact University Police via email (

Regardless of your status (CSA or non-CSA), all community members are encouraged to promptly report all criminal incidents and other public safety related emergencies to police. For incidents requiring immediate attention, dial 911 or 919-515-3000 (for on campus emergencies) or use any Emergency Phone located throughout the campus. Non-emergency incidents can be reported by dialing 919-515-3000 from any phone or in person at NC State University Police Department (2610 Wolf Village Way, Raleigh, NC 27695).

What makes you a CSA?

The law defines four categories of CSAs:

  1. University Police Department sworn personnel and department administrators.
  2. Non-police individuals of offices responsible for campus security. These CSAs have security presence or access control authority on university property including, but not limited to, security staff at athletic events, security staff at student functions and student ID checkers access management throughout campus (e.g., the field house).
  3. Officials with significant responsibility for student and campus activities category is defined broadly to ensure complete coverage and thorough reporting of crimes. To determine which individuals or organizations are CSAs, consider job functions that involve relationships with students. Look for Officials (i.e., not support staff) whose functions involve relationships with students.
    • An Official is defined as any person who has the authority and the duty to take action or respond to particular issues on behalf of the University. If someone has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, s/he is a CSA. Some examples of CSAs in this category include, but are not limited to, deans, student affairs professionals, student housing staff, athletic director/assistant directors, coaches, student activities coordinators, student judicial officers and faculty/staff advisors to student organizations.
  4. Any individual or organization specified in an institution’s statement of campus security policy as an individual or organization to which students and employees should report criminal offenses
    • Office of Student Conduct
    • Women’s Center (including the 24-hour Response Line)
    • Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity
    • University Housing
    • Student Health Services
    • GLBT Center

CSA Crime Reporting

When a crime is reported to a CSA, first ask the person if they would like to report it to University Police. If so, contact University Police at 919-515-3000.

If the CSA has firsthand knowledge and confirmation that the reporting party filed a police report with University Police, then they are not obligated to complete and submit a Campus Security Authority Crime Reporting Form.

However, if the reporting party says they will file a police report (but have not yet done so), leaving the CSA with no confirmation that a police report was filed, then the CSA must still complete and submit a CSA Crime Report.

CSAs are encouraged to report all crimes they are aware of to University Police as soon as possible.

CSAs, when interacting with the reporting party, need to gather incident information that would provide sufficient detail to properly classify the incident. This means CSAs need to document reporting party responses or lack thereof to the following questions.

  • Where did the incident take place? (be specific, include room numbers, cross streets, city/state, etc)
  • When did the incident take place? (what date and time?)
  • Who was involved or what did they look like?
  • What specifically are the allegations made to the CSA? (My purse was stolen… I was robbed… I was raped… etc)
  • Have you reported this matter to police?

CSAs should not investigate the crime or attempt to determine whether a crime, in fact, took place. When in doubt, a Campus Safety Authority Reporting Form should be completed and submitted!

CSAs must provide resources to those making them aware of any situation.

Anonymity vs. Confidentiality

Due to their federally mandated responsibilities, CSAs cannot guarantee any person confidentiality. By federal law, CSAs are required to provide the following information about crimes that are reported to them:

  • Date & Time the offense occurred
  • Location where the offense occurred
  • Date & Time the offense was reported to the CSA
  • All relevant information reported to the CSA

Persons reporting a crime to a CSA may wish to remain anonymous. To submit a CSA Report Form anonymously please confirm with the reporting person directly that they do not wish their name be included in the report. If that is their choice they should be made aware that electing to remain anonymous may greatly limit the University’s ability to stop the prohibited conduct, collect evidence, or take effective action against individuals or organizations.

Regardless of their wishes to report an incident, survivors of crimes are afforded rights and interim measures for offenses involving sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence and stalking. To review information about available resources, please visit this link.

What do I tell a Reporting Party?

The following is a sample of what you can tell a reporting party who comes to you to report a crime:

“As part of my position on campus I am a federally mandated crime reporter for the University. I am required to report this incident to Clery Compliance Officer and University Police for data gathering. If you request anonymity, the Report Form will not include your name. My report will contain only the information you provide. Do you have any questions? Would you like to help me fill it out?”

What is done with CSA reports?

The University Clery Compliance Coordinator and University Police review CSA reports and determine whether it is a reportable crime in the Annual Security Report (ASR). These reports are also evaluated by the Clery Compliance Coordinator and University Police for timely warning and/or emergency notification consideration. The Clery Compliance Coordinator will consolidate crime data from multiple sources, report qualifying crime data to the federal Department of Education, publish campus ASRs and inform the campus community when and where ASRs are available.

The University also encourages complainants to pursue criminal action for incidents that may also be crimes under state criminal law including sexual violence, relationship violence, or stalking. The University Police Department will formally investigate the incident or assist a complainant, at the complainant’s request, in contacting local law enforcement for incidents that occur outside of the University Police’s jurisdiction. To report an incident to law enforcement, call (919) 515-3000, or 911.

Regardless of their wishes to report an incident, survivors of crimes are afforded rights and interim measures for offenses involving sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence and stalking. To review information about available resources, please visit this link.

  • Short-stay “away” trips – University sponsored trips of more than one night for student travel. Include information about lodging and any classroom (other) space sponsored by University.
  • Repeated Use – University sponsored travel that occurs more than once in any 365 day period. Example — student group travels to Greensboro every semester and stays at the same hotel each time.

University Sponsored Trip Registration


Clery External Links