The University Police Department is a fully sworn and equipped police department serving the university community. NC State University Police Officers have the same powers and responsibilities as your local police and sheriff’s departments. On campus, the University Police enforce North Carolina law, investigate crimes, respond to emergencies, patrol university property and provide safety education.
We are proud to be accredited by both the Commission on Accreditation of Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA) and by the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators. Less than 40 university police departments nationally are accredited; we are the first university police department in North Carolina to be accredited by both organizations.
The NC State University Police Department has extended jurisdiction into the City of Raleigh. Our officers have full law enforcement authority to act both on and off campus while on duty. The NC State University Police Department will respond off campus to housing areas where NC State students reside, to investigate crimes that occurred on campus, effect an arrest that occurred in the officer’s presence, or when requested by the Raleigh Police Department. The NC State University Police Department will not routinely patrol off campus areas.
Our role in the community-wide shared responsibility for safety on campus is to provide professional law enforcement, effective emergency response, crime & incident reduction and community outreach & education.
- We work with one another, other departments / agencies and our community to solve problems and reduce crime and incidents.
- We model ethical and honest behavior.
- We uphold the Constitution and its ideals.
- We understand our actions represent all of law enforcement and we will adhere to the Code of Ethics, the Laws of North Carolina and our policies.
- We respect others, and we will treat others, as we want to be treated.
- We will conduct ourselves at all times in such a manner as to reflect a positive image of ourselves, the department and the University.
- We provide effective and quality service, including care, confidence, certainty and communication while using our authority fairly, efficiently and effectively.
- We look beyond the initial incident for causes and look for effective / innovative solutions.