The goal of the Citizen’s Police Academy is to give members of the NC State University community the opportunity to get to know members of the police department, gain a better understanding of law enforcement practices, and see how police officers interact with the community.
Those accepted into the Citizen’s Police Academy will participate in classes and activities that will allow them to learn about the following subject areas:
- Traffic Enforcement
- Domestic Violence Investigations
- Criminal Investigations
- Firearms Familiarization
- Crime Prevention
- Crime Scene Investigations
- Emergency Communications
The academy includes practical exercises that give the student the chance to perform traffic stops, take action to stop a heated domestic dispute, and fire real guns carried by the Officers of the NCSU Police Department in a controlled environment.
The academy is free, but class size is limited.
The Citizen’s Police Academy is currently a Spring Semester event. Details on the latest Citizen’s Police Academy will be posted below.
2019 Citizen’s Police Academy
Dates: February 20, 2019 – April 17, 2019 (Every Wednesday, excluding March 13, 2019)
Times: 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- Must be 18 years of Age.
- Must be a member of the NCSU Community (Student, Faculty, Staff, Corporate Partner, On-Campus Non-Affiliated Resident, etc).
- Must be willing to submit to a background check.
- Must be willing to commit to most of the 8 training days (Note: The Firearms Training portion of the Academy will be divided into two dates. Both dates are mandatory if you wish to participate at the Firing Range). Preference may be given to applicants who can attend all 8 training days.
If you meet the above requirements and wish to apply, please complete the online application form linked below.
If you have any questions, you may contact the Crime Prevention Unit at email@example.com or 919-515-5963.